There’s something about Thai-style fresh vegetables, herbs and zesty sauces that I can’t get enough of. Summer rolls have been a big staple for me the last few weeks as they are so quick, easy and delicious. But after looking to change things up, I concocted a salad version featuring brown rice vermicelli and crispy tempeh. Using brown rice vermicelli or noodles in the place of the more processed white rice vermicelli makes this recipe more filling and nutritious. Like my summer rolls recipe, this dish takes minimal time to prepare and is so fresh and satisfying. Perfect for those summer days or nights!
Tempeh is not an ingredient I have cooked with a whole lot but I really enjoy it, especially the varieties of tempeh made by Organic Village. This brand uses fermented legumes instead of fermented soybeans. The version I used for this recipe is organic chickpea and linseed, but you could use any variety. I personally prefer it to tempeh made from soybeans as it is all organic and tastes divine, especially after soaking it in my marinade…
A word of warning, however, about how delicious this recipe is. I devoured the whole thing in one day. Let me know how long it lasts for you!
For the tempeh:
- Tempeh (I used organic chickpea and linseed tempeh from @organicvillage)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic
For the salad:
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large cucumber, finely chopped and halved
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 cups kale
- 1 cup coriander, finely chopped
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp unhulled tahini
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or other nut butter)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 freshly squeezed lime
- Mix together the marinade ingredients and pour over the sliced tempeh. Let marinade in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius. Line an oven tray with baking paper and grill tempeh for 10 mins each side (or until crispy).
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, add brown rice vermicelli and boil for 5 mins. Strain and rinse vermicelli with cold water.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the tahini, almond butter, coconut aminos and lime.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the vegetables, brown rice vermicelli, tempeh and dressing. Top with fresh coriander.